"name": "How can we thank someone for speaking with us over the phone? WebIf it's the first time you meet/know someone, I think is more suitable, which means I'm glad to know (meet) you. Bill: I don't believe I've had the pleasure. you can also say which means "glad to meet you", and is usually used when the first time you meet someone. It was nice talking to you. I wonder if you ran into your ex-teacher and had a pleasant conversation with him or her, and before leaving your teacher said, "It was nice talking to you," would you reply your teacher with "Thank you. If you don't reply for the next three hours. When someone says "It was nice meeting you" or "Great meeting you" it means that they met for the first time. ). It was nice meeting you, too. This means that it is also suitable in formalistic situations. Why is this sentence from The Great Gatsby grammatical? These examples will shed some light on how you can use this: Steering away from greetings slightly, I had a great time is another reply we could try. I would just say "Yeah, you too!". I didnt know how bad it got. Welcome to Grammarhow!We are on a mission to help you become better at English. Im glad to be welcomed onto the team. In fact, this is one of those socially acceptable and appreciated things that we hardly ever notice when it is there. rev2023.3.3.43278. B: It was great to be here, too, Val. "@context": "https://schema.org", It shows that you respect and value their time. It should be written as such, It is very nice to meet you, or It is a pleasure to meet you, that would be present tense. To many ways to vary it, more results for "is all", or 'it' instead of pleasure, or simply "all mine" in response. Thank you for meeting me. If youve seen them multiple times, it might not be wise to say meeting you anymore. The preferred synonyms are it was a pleasure talking to you, it was nice talking to you, and it was great meeting you. These work well in formal settings to show that you were happy to spend some time getting to know someone.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[728,90],'grammarhow_com-box-3','ezslot_3',105,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-grammarhow_com-box-3-0'); It was a pleasure talking to you is a simple alternative that works well. In informal contexts, I'd be likely to reply with "Ditto!" Id like to do this again sometime if that works for you. This conveys that your are thankful to the person. So, as you can see, there is a whole pack of answers that one can give when being told that someone was glad to meet him or her! 8. ), you will make him or her feel valued and respected. It helped to ease my mind about the way things are going right now. They allow you to learn more about what might be happening outside of your immediate circle. Can I reply to "How are you doing?" I'm Bill Franklin. Informal: -Yes, catch you later! It shows that you have had a lot to think about since meeting with someone. The message itself also signals the idea that the conversation or interaction went well or at least as planned and expected. I started playing the guitar recently for my pastime. Although Speak with and Speak to can be used interchangeably, there is a very slight difference in tone and urgency. Hello. It was great meeting you all. It is intended to show that whatever you did you were very happy to do so. Im glad we could meet. Hey there. Its been a pleasure, and I hope youll consider me for future positions should they ever make themselves available. It was great meeting you, Abbie. It was a pleasure talking to you. How to notate a grace note at the start of a bar with lilypond? Needless to say, today can be conveniently replaced by other time expressions like this morning, this afternoon, or this evening, depending on the conversational context. Remember, you can always message me or email me if you need any help with this. Other ways to say it was a pleasure to meet you are it was nice to meet you, it was lovely to meet you, and Im glad we could meet. These phrases are excellent in an email to show someone you enjoyed meeting and discussing something with them.if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[728,90],'grammarhow_com-box-3','ezslot_3',105,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-grammarhow_com-box-3-0'); It was nice to meet you is one of the best synonyms you can use. Even responding to a question as common as Hows your day? can come off as a little discomforting if we dont have enough responses in our word bank. If youre responding to a message from another person, give them a true response that is at least a sentence or 2 long. B: Pleasure having you in town again, Mrs. Murphy. I am delighted to make your acquaintance, and Im shocked that we havent had a chance to catch up before this. With friends, It would be my pleasure to go to Thank you for setting this meeting up. This strategy also makes the message receiver remember who the writer of the email message is. Saying thank you has been proven to enhance our social bonding a good thing when you are trying to make new connections! But avoid the K reply, which can feel terse and rude. This is a polite phrase that you say to someone that you've just met for the first time at the end of the conversation. Its been great to talk to you. You might think that the reason is in the very person whom we have to respond to since not all the people we meet are nice. What Is the Difference Between 'Man' And 'Son of Man' in Num 23:19? This is my wife. Pleased to meet you. Share Improve this Please let Mr. Anderson come too. Its been great to talk to you is a great alternative you can A: I still need to do the groceries, so I should get going. } I would like to meet again to discuss a few more issues. Yes, they can be used together, but youd better use them vice versa: Nice to meet you! It was lovely to see you is somewhere between informal and formal English. We could meet for coffee tomorrow if youre free. What is the best time / are the best times for a meeting? It's not nice, it's not appropriate, but in my humble opinion, it is the best. Its me, Marcel. Could you please help me a bit? Thank you for coming to me with these concerns. Im glad we could have this discussion. Ill be happy to help where I can. Hello. It was lovely to meet you. Which one would you say? It provides evidence from a corpus (COCA) that is related to "It was nice to talk to you. How Do You Respond to Nice to Meet You? However, it is also not necessary that much, in fact. The answers to it was a pleasure meeting you can be: Its a pleasure meeting you as well. Languages have always been my passion and I have studied Linguistics, Computational Linguistics and Sinology at the University of Zurich. ", Can airtags be tracked from an iMac desktop, with no iPhone? Thank you for having me. I say simply You too. Or Thanks, you too. Which means (It was nice talking to) you too. With respect to Maulik V's answer above, I'd say that "Same Anyway, if simple nice to meet you sounds too much cliched for you, feel free to change it and try one of the following variations instead: With these replies, you will easily find the most suitable one that can be used in your particular case. Another simple and direct goodbye expression we can use is I had a great time with you. This one also implies the act of speaking or talking with the other person even if it is not stated. So, we have shared all that we wanted to share with you today. Nice talking with you. Are you a native speaker? While most of the expressions above can indeed be useful in both real life encounters and email correspondence, the following two expressions are mainly used in email writing and other written contexts. I thoroughly enjoyed our conversation, Mario. Nice to meet you too. ] the other (day/night) "The other day" means "a few days ago". Im glad we could meet. Its still sure to work well in most professional contexts. I would like to offer you a place at our company if youre willing to take it. At the end of a conversation, you might find that someone looks at their watch, and says to you well, its been a pleasure talking to you. In touch is a phrase that means establish communication with someone, which is quite literally what youre doing when you email someone. B: Thank you for having me here. What is the answer to it was a pleasure meeting you. It was nice to meet you yesterday. It was good to talk to you is a good choice even if youre not familiar with the person youre speaking to. Nice to meet you. Being polite is a good and socially approved way of showing your respect to other people around you. Let me know if theres anything else youd like to discuss. Thank you for the invitation. Its been great to talk to you is a great alternative you can use. Thanks so much to you! When would you like to meet again to discuss further arrangements? I had a great time. What about these options I wrote off the top of my head? WebThere are some responses I use when someone says Nice to meet you: Them: Its nice to meet you! This time, you can use nice as the adjective rather than saying a pleasure. It shows that youve had a good time getting to know someone or talking to them in a professional capacity. How are you?. Why does Mister Mxyzptlk need to have a weakness in the comics. I had a great time with you. Me: Likewise. Is it grammatically correct to say "It was nice, +1 Definitely good for informal or casual, in my opinion. When to use which of your example sentences is all up to what tense the verb is in. Nice meeting you, too is the best reply you can use when someone emails you saying, nice meeting you. Like many greetings and responses, sometimes the most effective methods involve using too to turn it into a reply. However, some of you probably wondered sometimes how you should reply to such a common greeting phrase as nice to meet you. It was nice to catch up, as always. You wouldnt suggest a second meeting if you did not enjoy your time with them. TWYL. (shake hands) Them: Nice to talk to you! However, I always reply this way, Thank you. What can I say instead of it was a pleasure? 2. I hope you make some time for me again in the future, as I had a really fun time here. From the data, we can draw a few conclusions: All possible choices (of to talk or talking, and of talk to or talk with) are acceptable (or at least can be said "in use"). It shows that you had a great experience meeting someone and talking to them about things. Moreover, the expression It was a pleasure to talk to you is an even more widely-used alternative for It was a pleasure talking to you., However, It was a pleasure talking to you is meanwhile more popular than our expression today which is It was a pleasure speaking with you.. English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. This phrase works best when youve learned a lot from your conversation with someone. Yes, but only if its a very informal conversation. It was a privilege to meet with you. -Yes, same here. Let me know when youre free again, so we can discuss matters further. Thank you for sharing some of these interesting facts with me. So if this is what you truly feel, go ahead and use this reply! You can respond by saying Nice to meet you too or Great to meet you too or Its my pleasure to meet you too. We can use this expression, for instance, when dealing with business acquaintances with whom we bump into at random. It was nice to talk to you about this. It was a pleasure. Lets meet again. Let me know when you want to meet again, and well see what we can sort out. Jones: It was nice talking to you. (I would probably not actually say this one, but 'me too' seems to be used more and more these days as a generic response, even if the logic doesn't work: A: It was good to see you again. It works best when youve only just met someone for the first time. Me: It was my pleasure! , Mrs. Anderson. It was nice to talk to you about this. I look forward to working closely with you in the future. Do I need a thermal expansion tank if I already have a pressure tank? "@type": "Question", I hope well be able to have a meeting like this again in the future. Watch the video: Only 1 percent of our visitors get these 3 grammar questions right 10 Best Ways to Say You Havent Met Someone, 9 Ways to Say It Was a Pleasure Doing Business with You, 12 Best Replies To Nice Meeting You On Email (Business Context), 9 Better Ways to Say The Pleasure Is All Mine, 9 Other Ways to Say Im Good At on a Resume, 10 Polite Ways to Say No Visitors after Surgery, 11 Best Ways to Say Im Here for You to a Loved One, 10 Professional Ways to Say I Am Not Feeling Well. Martin holds a Masters degree in Finance and International Business. Read more about Martin here. Can I tell police to wait and call a lawyer when served with a search warrant? Of course, it is very nice to say something pleasant and polite that will let your new contact know that you are happy to meet them. -Hey, it was great to talk with you too! "@type": "Question", Euler: A baby on his lap, a cat on his back thats how he wrote his immortal works (origin?). (shake hands) Them: Nice to talk to you! Frequently Asked Questions. "text": "We can thank someone for speaking with us via phone by using the expression “It was a pleasure speaking with you over the phone earlier today/this afternoon/yesterday, Mr./Ms. Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. Another way to say this phrase is to say It was nice meeting you. Delighted to make your acquaintance (very formal! So now we are sure that you will not get puzzled when hearing or reading that nice to meet you phrase since you have a lot of optional answers to choose from! There's a whole range of possible answers, ranging from "Thank you" to "The pleasure was mine", with some neutral and perhaps even derogatory replies possible (try to avoid the derogatory ones :) ). I am glad you enjoyed it. It's still "current" today, but I thought it would be at least Victorian, if not earlier. because the relationship between the two people is quite close or intimate. In this case, check out a few alternatives to nice to meet you reply we have prepared for you below! Hes a great guy. Like this, you will show that you do care for them, and besides, everyone loves to be recognized and to be some kind of famous! It was a delight to meet you too. Then if someone says 'Glad to meet you', can we respond either 'Me too (=I too)' or 'You too (=Glad to meet you too'? It was great meeting you is a fantastic choice in formal English. Them: It was a pleasure to meet you! With each of them, you will leave the most positive impression of yourself and make your new friend want to meet you again. It is my utmost pleasure to share with all of you guys what I know about languages and linguistics in general. In this view, It was nice talking to you should be more suitable. Its a great alternative because it gets right to the point and shows someone that you enjoyed talking to them. How to use Slater Type Orbitals as a basis functions in matrix method correctly? Same here. Do you want two examples, one for formal and one for casual? To a certain point, it can be considered suitable, but only for those of you who communicate online daily and such online greetings are usual things for you and your interlocutors. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. When we receive an email that says nice to meet you, we most likely dont know exactly what to write back in response. Is nice to meet ya an informal reply? It couldnt have been easy, but I do appreciate your time. You can appreciate them for spending some of their time meeting with you, especially if it benefited you. I appreciated your time. You always seem to know how to make business lunches more interesting. The phrase it was a pleasure speaking with you already works well, so a minor tweak like this is also suitable. How to Market Your Business with Webinars. Here they are with example dialogues for contextualization: If we want to show the person that we are excited to meet him or her, we would most likely use Looking forward to talking to you in speaking or writing. You can use speaking and talking synonymously, and this phrase works well when you want to show that youve had an enjoyable time with someone in a formal situation. Our goal is to create English lessons that are easy to understand for everyone. If your new contacts reputation precedes him or her (in a good way, of course), it never hurts to let the person know that you have already heard about them. Especially in the business world, where everyone appreciates people who are getting down to business straight away. So when people say nice to meet you, how to respond correctly? Update the question so it can be answered with facts and citations by editing this post. Heres The Difference. Let me know when youre in town next, and we can arrange a meeting with everyone. "text": "It is grammatically correct to say “It was a pleasure speaking with you yesterday” because the time expression “yesterday” precisely coincides with the verb tense in this sentence. Was is one of the simple past forms of be., We can thank someone for speaking with us via phone by using the expression It was a pleasure speaking with you over the phone earlier today/this afternoon/yesterday, Mr./Ms. This reply may seem to be somewhat too short and even harsh and emotionless. Im glad we could have this discussion. It was a pleasure talking to you. I'm actually quite surprised to discover that the Google Books finds no instances before these two from 1900. "name": "Can we use “It was a pleasure speaking with you” in an email? I will let you know if something comes up that we can work on together. Would you like to bring a friend? However, if we are to make it more visible, the preposition with conveys more warmth than the preposition to; this nuance makes speaking with you the default choice. Well, the time of saying that is much important. "@type": "Question", If the message is strictly business, for example, then bypassing the nice to meet you part could make your email sound a bit too abrupt. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you too. What is the purpose of this D-shaped ring at the base of the tongue on my hiking boots? Me: Likewise. I look forward to working with you, and I. I am happy you decided to contact me again, and it was a pleasure meeting you, too. 5. To respond to either It was a pleasure talking to you or It was a pleasure speaking with you, we often say And you too or The pleasure is mine., Now that the basics have been laid out, its time to take a look at some of the most effective alternatives for It was a pleasure speaking with you.. Thank you for meeting me. I understand what to expect from the situation now. Welcome to EL&U. But it does sound as if you are in a hurry to say good bye. The best replies to nice meeting you on email is either Its been a pleasure or it was nice to make your acquaintance. When the situation is even more casual, it also follows that we would want to wrap the conversation out in an informal manner too. It was a pleasure, as always. I believe this is the start of a strong working relationship. Thank you, and I hope all is well with you. Lets meet again soon. "I'm always going to remember my time working here. While similar to being delighted, there are still different ways we can use nice, like so: Again, we can use a more powerful word than nice to reply to nice meeting you. Changing the reply to It was a pleasure meeting you is a great way to show that youre enthusiastic and happy that you met your business partner. Kate worked in "The Fashion Magazine" for four years as a freelance writer and loved to consult and help people with their style. What do you reply to its my pleasure? How to Respond to Nice to Meet You In Email? "acceptedAnswer": { We should meet again sometime. Ive really missed our formal chats outside of the workplace. If you are in a hurry: This is why, in this article we decided to investigate a bit and we tried to collect as many nice to meet you alternatives as possible. These acts make a lot of sense because we need them to maintain both professional and intimate relationships with everyone around us. "Although I'm leaving, I wanted to tell you what a pleasure it was being your colleague." Our goal is to create English lessons that are easy to understand for everyone. "mainEntity": [ Martin has been featured as an expert in communication and teaching on Forbes and Shopify. How can I reply to "It was nice to talk to you" properly both formally and casually? 12 Better Ways To Say Nice To Meet You Online (Zoom Or Email). Anyway, be careful when using this reply! Which is, Another Stack Exchange site that might be better for questions like this one is. It shows that youve met someone in the past (using past tense words like could). Disconnect between goals and daily tasksIs it me, or the industry? Me: I assure you, the pleasure was all mine (shake hands). Write a portcard answer his question. Some people have found a clever and witty way out and they reply with nice to e-meet you answer. Also, instead of using today, other adverbials can obviously be used such as earlier as in It was a pleasure talking to you earlier on the phone., 14. It was nice to talk to you about this shows that you valued someones opinion and learned from them. Plain and simple, It was good talking to you is something we could use with relatively distant connections, such as those we do not necessarily interact with all the time. It works by showing them that youre interested in working with them, even if you dont quite have anything ready for them at the minute. The phrase is a response to thank you and similar to youre welcome, but with a little more politeness. I hope youll be around for the party later today. In informal contexts, I'd be likely to reply with which is a long-established "set phrase" for such situations. I appreciate your time is another good way to refer to meeting someone in the past. The use of to is indeed in favor (compared to with). It was nice talking to you. It's been my pleasure, and I wish all of you well in the future." Martin has been featured as an expert in communication and teaching on Forbes and Shopify. Furthermore, he has teaching experience from Aarhus University. If we want to specify the time when we interacted with the person, we can also add adverbs of time like today at the end of our message. I am glad to meet you too. I had a great time with you is a simple phrase you can use to show that youve enjoyed someones company. There's a whole range of possible answers, ranging from "Thank you" to "The pleasure was mine", with some neutral and perhaps even derogatory replies possible (try to avoid the derogatory ones :) ). How to tell which packages are held back due to phased updates. This reply actually works two ways. If you know they are busy, it might be worth saying something like this. We can use It was a pleasure talking to you today, for example, after having a discussion over breakfast, lunch, or dinner with another person. Is it appropriate to use "reunion" for meeting only one person after a long time? As a simple reply, you can use "The pleasure is mine". Im trying to make a well-informed decision, and youve helped with that. Once you reach an agreement, you could tell the people you negotiated with that it was a pleasure working with them by using the following phrases: "Thank you so Thank you. B: Me too.) I hope I get to see you around here sometime again. Another detail we can include is the time in which the discussion took place. Lets meet again shows that you had a good time meeting someone. It was nice meeting you, too. dude, the Trump troll was funny. In situations like the one below, it would be inappropriate to use highly. You can decide on any other positive adjective that works (i.e. I had a great time meeting you and getting to know the business today. A catch up is a conversation you can have with someone when youve not had a chance to talk to them for at least a few weeks. It is grammatically correct to say It was a pleasure speaking with you yesterday because the time expression yesterday precisely coincides with the verb tense in this sentence. I hope all is well with you too, and I look forward to future engagements in the company. I will let you know if something comes up is the perfect way to keep the recipient ready to receive an email from you. John: Have you met Sally Hill? With this idea in mind, it follows that It was a pleasure talking to you is something we say in contrast with Looking forward to talking to you.. He has six years of experience in professional communication with clients, executives, and colleagues. Sam: Oh! The pleasure's mine. I usually respond to suc I think the reply should be something like this: Where "And" represents "it was nice talking". In situations like the one below, it would be inappropriate to use highly formal language because the relationship between the two people is quite close or intimate. It shows that you value the time you got to discuss something with someone. Can airtags be tracked from an iMac desktop, with no iPhone? I am delighted to make your acquaintance, and I would like to offer my services for whatever you may need. 7. Its been great to talk to you. It was a great honor to meet you! Read on to learn how you should reply when talking to someone in person, and what phrase to use in response when you are communicating with a new person via email. B: Thank you for coming tonight, Jane. We can use It was a pleasure speaking with you when emailing a person that has recently been introduced to us by another person. I really enjoyed our conversation on Zoom, and Im excited about the possibility of joining On the other hand, if you have some positive or upbeat things to say, it makes sense to be direct and go straight to the exciting details. Thank you for your kind words, and its been a pleasure. English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. I would like to introduce you to some of my new friend. I had a lot of fun learning from you. Thank you, and it was nice meeting you. Me: I assure you, the pleasure was Ill let you know what I decide once Ive had some time to think things through. After all, he may be lying about it being a pleasure on HIS part. By acknowledging the other persons work skills and experience, you make them feel valuable and you start your conversation in a more than positive way! It was a pleasure speaking with you is just a slightly more formal version of It was a pleasure talking to you, but both essentially suggest the same meaning. }. “Was” is one of the simple past forms of “be.”" Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. In other words, it makes social interactions a lot easier. What am I doing wrong here in the PlotLegends specification? As a simple reply, you can use "The pleasure is mine". Jones: It was nice talking to you. We could use this phrase as follows in our emails: I am delighted to make your acquaintance is a brilliant choice if you want to keep the formality high. Here are the results found in COCA using two searches [be] nice talking to|with you, and [be] nice to talk to|with you, grouped by the intended time. I should thank you for inviting me instead, Dan. It implies that its been an eye-opening experience, and you might have learned a lot. Is there a proper earth ground point in this switch box? So how should we fix that? Let me know if youd like to meet up to discuss anything like this again. While it works really well in most cases, some people might see it as lazy. You should use this whether its your first meeting with someone or youve met them a few times before. Is it possible to create a concave light? It is a great pleasure to meet you as well. Pleasure to meet you. Saying "very much" right after "Nice to meet you, too", Batch split images vertically in half, sequentially numbering the output files. When we talk to each other, we have to follow some basic rules of politeness, otherwise, people would start talking about us as rude and ill-behaved individuals! Is a PhD visitor considered as a visiting scholar? }, We can make use of this expression after bumping into a friend in a public place and shortly talking with that person. It was a pleasure talking to you yesterday/last week/this morning/earlier today. If so, how close was it? 1 How do you respond to it was a pleasure talking with you? }, E.g., you can use such phrases as It's great connecting with you., Pleased to meet you., Lovely to meet you., How do you do?, or Delighted to make your acquaintance (but this one is super formal!). Believe me, I wish to say the same to you!
Querfeld Funeral Home Obituaries, Walter King Tut'' Johnson Daughter, Half Fisherman's Rib Stitch In The Round, Bottomless Mimosas New Orleans Brunch, Articles H